Tuesday, February 17, 2009

February 16, 2009 - Thoughts

Jesus said in Matthew 16:24-26 “If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will find it. What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul?”

He also said in Matthew 10:37-39 “Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; and anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.”

Man, so easy to read. So easy to say “yea, that’s what it’s about.” Then why are we hurting - missing our children, missing our granddaughter? Concerned about how they are doing. Concerned about missing their lives. Not being there for them.

How does this work with Jesus also saying in Matthew 11:29-30 “Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” At the moment, can’t say that we’re experiencing the easy yoke and the light burden. Seems to be just he opposite at the moment.

Denying yourself, taking up your cross, losing your life for His sake, loving Him more than your family, children, and grandchildren is not always easy. Perhaps that’s where these other verses come in:
Isaiah 26:8 - God's Name and Renown are to be the desire of our hearts
1 Corinthians 1:19-20 - As a Christian, we don’t belong to ourselves anymore but to God
2 Corinthians 5:15 - As Christians we are to live our lives for the one who gave His life for us and not live for ourselves anymore

Can’t say these verses are making it any easier, but they do make it more understandable.

No comments: