Monday, October 29, 2007

October 11 2007

October 11, 2007
(Brad) Today formations started for Kairos #3 at Branchville Correctional Facility (Prison) in Tell City, Indiana. For those not familiar with Kairos it is similar Walk To Emmaus or Tres Dias for prisons. It starts on Thursday evening and ends on Sunday night. The difference is Kairso doesn’t target Christians. Kairos focuses on the trouble makers in the prison. The gang leaders. I had the privilege of serving on the last first two Kairos at Branchville. It is an amazing experience to watch these inmates show up on Thursday night not really happy to be there and trying to figure out what we “want” from them to Sunday night when they don’t want us to leave and many who have not cried in years wiping away tears as they have experienced - possibly for the first time in their life – unconditional love from another person (or in Kairos’ case about 45 –50 people). To be a part of the team requires a very large time commitment. With that in mind after the last Kairos I decided if given the opportunity not to participate in the next Kairos because I would be heavily involved in getting ready to go to Honduras. As the time got closer I begin to waiver in this decision. Prison ministry, Kairos, and my weekly Bible studies with others are some of the reasons I am where I am today in my relationship with God and commitment to Him. Now that I’m getting ready to make this move to Honduras I shouldn’t stop what has gotten me to this point and continues to help me grow. So, when I had the privilege of being asked to be a part of this Kairos team I excitedly said yes.

No comments: